Basically, Arizona has banned ethnic studies and in response, school districts have been forced to pull a wide range of books off their shelves. A group of authors, publishers, and organizations is organizing an effort to smuggle banned books back into Arizona and set up underground libraries.
I'm behind the libro-traficantes one hundred percent. Every person has the right and responsibility to learn his or her own heritage, be it Mexican, Irish, African, or what-have-you. If we were going to ban all study of immigrants, we wouldn't be allowed to learn anything but Native American history. But of course Arizona is banning Native American books, too, effectively whitewashing their entire curriculum. This law is stupid, racist, and unconstitutional. (I'm totally shocked Arizona would pass a backward law like this. Not.) So I've sent in my meager donation. (You can donate here.)
Anyway, I want to do more than chip in a little money, so I'm asking you, my fans, to help. I'm holding a mini-auction with three prizes:
1) A signed FIRST edition of ASHFALL plus a signed poster. The first editions are no longer available in stores. There are only 15 of the ASHFALL posters left. I'll ship the poster and book anywhere in the world at my expense. Bid here.
2) An Advance Reading Copy (ARC) of the forthcoming ASHEN WINTER. As soon as I receive my author ARCs from Tanglewood, I'll rush to the post office and send you an autographed one (probably in April or May.) ASHEN WINTER ARCs won't be widely distributed until July, and the book won't be out until October, so you'll get to read it 5-6 months early! I'll ship the ARC anywhere in the world at my expense. Bid here.
3) Tuckerization in the third and final ASHFALL book (title and release date TBD). I'll include any reasonable name of your choice as a minor character in the third and final ASHFALL book. Bid here.
1) All three auctions will be open until 9 pm EST on Wednesday, March 7th.
2) Bid by commenting on the item page with an amount and email address. High bid wins. Minimum bid is $10. Bid in increments of $1 or more, please. All bids should be in U.S. dollars.
3) If bids go high enough, I may award multiple copies of any of these prizes.
4) Winning bidders will be informed by email. Each winning bidder has 48 hours to make the promised donation directly to Libro-traficantes via Paypal and forward the receipt to me via email. ASHFALL first editions and posters will be mailed immediately--the other two prizes will be fulfilled as soon as possible.
If you have questions, comment on this post or email me at mike.mullin.writer at gmail dot com, please. Save the comment sections of the item posts for bids. Thanks for your support and good luck!
*Thank you to Alba Solarzano for supplying the ¡ for the title of this post.